Troffers, troffers, everywhere!! They literally have companies pulling out their hair!!
Poor rhyme, but the sentiment is reasonably accurate. T8 (twin 36W fluorescent tubes) in recessed fittings (troffers) are probably the most widely used fittings in Australia (or at least a close second to MR16 spotlights)! Most offices, be them corporate, commercial or industrial are fitted with these relatively inefficient eyesores.
They have certainly served their purpose over the years, but any of us who have worked under them are all too familiar with many of their less than endearing qualities which include:
- Ugliness. Seriously. With their often cracked diffusers, different colored tubes, bug carcass littered interiors, these fittings are about as appealing as a lava enema.
- Flicker, hum, other unwanted stimulation! Certainly improvements in ballast types have improved both issues, but improvement is still a long way from being completely fixed.
- Power hungry – 72W +ballast per fitting. Even at relatively high efficacies (80lm/W-100lm/W) the DLOR is still low which results in relatively low efficiencies (usable light).
- Mercury. Hg. No matter how its written mercury is not only a potential hazard if a tube is broken or disposed of properly, but best case scenario it’s expensive to recycle.
- Low CRI, colour shift, and other problems with colour rendition, not the best options if you need to see colours correctly!
- Size – troffers are typically deep fittings (to house tubes, ballasts, reflector) and not ideal for applications where space is sparse.
What’s the alternative – for retrofit or new applications our Corona™ LED Panels represent EXCELLENT value for money, and provide:
One final point is glare. While the entire usefulness of the UGR can be debated, we can state that our panels typically fall below 19 on the index, and with our prismatic diffuser options they fall well below.
Considering the advantages to making the shift to our Corona™ and their relatively low price, it makes a lot of sense (and cents) to make the switch! View the range here.